Sunday, September 11, 2016

9/11: 15 Years Later

It's hard to believe that 9/11 was 15 years ago! It's also hard to believe that I was 12 when that happened.  wanted to take a moment to reflect on what my personal 9/11 experience was like. 
15 years ago, I was in the seventh grade, and I was so excited that I was going on a field trip to the American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. We were at the museum about five minutes when we were paged to come to the front of the building. Our teachers told us that a plane had hit the World Trade Center in New York City, and we had to leave Oak Ridge immediately to head back to school. Not completely realizing what was going on, I just remember being disappointed about not getting to finish our field trip. When we got back to school, we sat and watched the events unfold. 
Now that I am a teacher, it has dawned on me several times that the majority of the students I have this year were born in either 2000 or 2001, so this will just be a day that they will study about in history. So, we are going to take a few minutes to have a discussion about 9/11 tomorrow in my classes. 
I have been fortunate to visit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in New York City twice. In July 2014, I went the first time with three friends of mine, two of whom live in NYC. Then I took a group of students from my school in May of 2015. If you ever are in New York City, please do yourself a favor and go to this memorial and museum. You will not regret it. Now, let's reflect on today and remember those who lost their lives in this hellacious day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edulastic Extravaganza Contest!

Hello All, As you may or may not know, I am a member of the Edulastic Innovator Team. Edulastic is featuring a Edulastic Extravaganza Cont...