Wednesday, January 13, 2016

MTBoS Blogging Initiative: A Day in the Life




I have decided to participate in the MTBoS (Math Twitter Blogosphere) 2016 Blogging Initiative. The first prompt is to describe A Day in the Life of a Teacher.

However, this prompt first made me think of the Beatles song, A Day in the Life, which has nothing to do with the prompt. Nonetheless, here is the link to the song.

I am going to do Monday and Tuesday of this week, since I had different events both days.

Monday:

6:55: Wake up
7:40: Arrive at school. During this time, I prepare for the day and make sure everything is neat and organized.
8:30: 1st Block Geometry. We finished the lesson on midpoint and distance formula, and then I had students begin a distance and midpoint formula task.
10:00: Announcements
10:05: 1st Block dismisses. I might just have enough time to go to the bathroom.
10:10: 2nd Block Algebra II. We started working on solving quadratic equations by factoring. By the end of class, several students caught on, but I was not confident enough to move on to new content.
11:40: End of 2nd Block
11:45: 3rd Block Accelerated Algebra II. We finished up solving quadratic equations by factoring. By the end of the class, I felt confident that the class had mastered the standards. We will be moving on to competing the square tomorrow.
12:30: Lunchtime!! I am very fortunate that Tennessee has mandated duty free lunch for teachers, whereas many states still do not have this privilege and right. I go to the teachers lounge where I teat lunch with my "Lunch Bunch" as we call ourselves.
1:00: Back to class. Where did the time from lunch go?!
1:45: 3rd Block Ends
1:45: Breaktime. I usually spend break visiting with teachers and students. I had to cover duty for one of my friends for a few minutes. Then I went and chatted with students for a few minutes.
2:00: 4th Block is my planning time. I recorded some grades in the grade book, I made copies of a foldable for my Algebra II class, created a review for my geometry class for their quiz, and created a spiral review worksheet for my classes to reinforce skills. At 3:15, I had to cover for another teacher's class so she could go to an appointment.
3:30: Schol is dismissed, and I went back to my room for tutoring. I had one student stay, and we worked on several problems over a couple of objectives.
4:40: Leave school and head home. Thankfully I live just a few minutes from school.
4:50: Arrive home. I started working on an evaluation lesson plan for my evaluation next week. Then I finished my spiral review sheets.
5:30: Stop working to make dinner. My friend Phyllis from Mississippi called me, and we chatted a few minutes (as I am cooking dinner).
6:00: Eat dinner while watching an episode of Parks and Recreation
6:20: Do dishes and other house chores
7:00: Finish chores and make a phone call to my mom then read on Twitter
7:30: Go to a friend's house and hang out
9:30: Return home and chat with my girlfriend
10:00: Work on blog
10:30: Settle down and watch and episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
11:00: Bedtime


Tuesday

6:55: Wake up
7:40: Arrive at school.
8:00 Math Department Meeting
8:30: 1st Block Geometry. We reviewed, gave a quiz, and then students finished a task.
10:00: Announcements
10:05: 1st Block dismisses.
10:10: 2nd Block Algebra II. We worked on solving quadratics by factoring again. I was much more pleased at the end of class about how much students were understanding this.
11:40: End of 2nd Block
11:45: 3rd Block Accelerated Algebra II. We started the say doing a Complete the Square guided discovery activity before lunch.
12:30: Lunchtime!! We had a discussion with about 8-9 teachers, which usually doesn't happen. It was good.
1:00: Back to class. We finished completing the square guided discovery activity, and I went through the whole process. They caught on pretty quickly!!!
1:45: 3rd Block Ends
1:45: Breaktime! I went and talked to one of the substitute teachers who is a friend of mine.
2:00: 4th Block is my planning time. I told one of my coworkers that she could bring her class (of 12 kids) to my room so she could go to an appointment. They worked while I gave feedback on geometry quizzes.
3:30: Schol is dismissed, and I went back to my room and chatted with the other math teachers.
4:00: Leave school and head home. Thankfully I live just a few minutes from school.
4:15: Arrive at home and finish evaluation lesson plan.
5:00: Worked on blog and chatted with my mom.
5:30: Cook and eat dinner
6:30: House chores
7:00: Play on Twitter and read
7:30: Go to basketball game at school. I attended the last quarter of the girls' game and the entirety of the boys' game. We won!! Go Bulldogs! I then stayed and chatted with a couple of people until after 10:00.
10:10. Arrive home and watch some TV before bed.
11:00: Bedtime



3 comments:

  1. I saw your entry on Twitter and it reminded me about the challenge (forgot about it)! So thanks for that. Enjoyed reading through your day. Lunch bunch sounds like a ball, and good to see you're not staying at school until ungodly hours. I wrote a 'day in the life' blog but back in November so I'll just link to that one :) http://wp.me/p3LdGY-gy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I love my lunch bunch; we have a blast! It's a nice break of sanity in my day!! I have been through the days, and I even have some now, where I stay late, but I am thankfully in the point in my career where I try to leave about 4:00-4:30! Thanks for the link, and thanks for stopping by, Thomas!

      Delete
  2. LOVE your new blog! and so happy to see my name inside it. also love seeing your day in the life schedule. you're an awesome teacher (not to mention friend and SVR). awesome reading <3

    ReplyDelete

Edulastic Extravaganza Contest!

Hello All, As you may or may not know, I am a member of the Edulastic Innovator Team. Edulastic is featuring a Edulastic Extravaganza Cont...