Wednesday, May 2, 2018

An Unexpected Review Game (still thinking of a name)!

I was thinking of a good idea to use as a review for my students' last module test. I went through the MTBoS and (as many awesome ideas that are out there), nothing was speaking to me. I was sitting at my desk yesterday afternoon and had a cool idea. How about I create a game that is similar to trivia?

Recently, my fiancé, a few other teachers at my school and their significant others, and I have been doing trivia one night a week at a local restaurant. I thought that the format of our weekly trivia game would be a good class format.

Here's how it is set up.


  1. Give students many pieces of scrap paper or index cards (as this is what they will bring to you with their answers) 
  2. Do three questions per round. I started the first round with 1, 3, or 5 points. I also stated that they could only pick one point per individual question. 
    1. For example, if the chose 5 points for the first question in the round, they had to choose 1 or 3 for the next question. 
  3. Preview the questions for the students, doing approximately 15-30 seconds (at most) per question so that way students can decide in their teams how many points they want to make each question. 
  4. Give students a set amount of time to do questions. Students must put their team name, the amount of points they want to set for the question, as well as the answer. As a side note, I didn't let them lose points for getting questions wrong. If students did not get their answers to me by the time the timer went off, then they were ineligible to submit their answer. 
  5. In the next round (if you want), you can up the points. I did 2, 4, 6 for a couple of rounds then 3, 6, 9 for a couple of rounds. 
  6. At the end, I did a final question. Students could bet anywhere between 1-20 points for this question. However, students lost the number of points they wagered if they got it wrong. 
Overall, I think my kids enjoyed it, and I would totally do it again! However, I need a better name than just Trivia. If you have any ideas, I will listen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edulastic Extravaganza Contest!

Hello All, As you may or may not know, I am a member of the Edulastic Innovator Team. Edulastic is featuring a Edulastic Extravaganza Cont...